POKÉMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF TIME (2007) | Retro Review.

 I had promised myself to start writing several articles often, but I have been somewhat inconsistent, honestly it would help me a lot to write at least twice a week or at least once a week, so as not to lose the practice, you know. 

Something I will try to change are the formats of my publications, following the advice of a good friend, I will stop being so rigid in my way of talking about the games, as I feel that they seem more like I'm selling the game than a review itself. I hope you'll forgive me if this text is not as long or informative as my style usually is, but as I said, it's time to change and improve.

It's been a long time since I talked about PMD Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team and I think I've waited long enough to talk about the holy trilogy that came out for the Nintendo DS. 

This title is quite special to me as it was my first cassette I had for the DS, as I didn't have what is known as R4 in which you could put hundreds of games, so my only method of entertainment was to become a Pokémon and see the world from the perspective of these so iconic creatures. 

As far as this review is concerned I will try to talk from my first impression playing it as a kid and from my impression now quite a few years later. 

IMG_20220809_211430.jpg

IMG_20220809_211445.jpg

I remember one day, I don't know if it was Christmas or my birthday, but my mother had arrived with a strange white box, it had something written on it "Nintendo DS Lite", I already knew about it, since several cousins also had similar gifts and also classmates. It didn't have any games, so I couldn't do much with that console. 

A week later my mother took me to a shopping mall, to a small store that I remember as if it was yesterday, it was full of giant Mario and Sonic stickers, as well as action figures of characters from different games. In that store my mother bought me the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explores of Time cassette, I was so happy, I could finally try my DS as it should be. As soon as I got home, I put the cassette in and turned on the console. 

After such a tedious introduction that for some reason they don't let you skip, I realized what I had in my hands just by looking at the home screen, I knew that interface, since I had already played a title of that series, the Red Rescue Team, I had it in my Gameboy Advance emulator on my PC. This made me even more excited, and I already knew what to expect, a great game. 

What represents these titles, are the interviews to know, according to your answers which Pokémon you would be, usually I always got Meowth, Treecko or Cubone. This title was no slouch and was faithful to its predecessor. 

The interview doesn't have enough differences, morality questions and somewhat comical, "what would you do if...?" questions, the only thing they added was the aura detector, which consists of placing your fingertip on the touch screen for a few seconds, in order to know the color of your soul. To this day I don't know the patterns to get the different colors, but I have several theories that it depends on where you place your finger on the screen, plus the answers you give in the interview. 

Once they tell you which Pokémon you are, you go to the next phase, which is to choose the one that will be your partner throughout your story in this game, I always try to choose a Pokémon that is able to defend my weakness, that way, if my Pokémon is Leaf, my natural enemy is Fire type, so I need a Water type partner to defend me, an easy strategy, somewhat selfish, but I'm the main character, so it doesn't matter. We give a name to our partner and the real story begins.


 Although the development of the story is different, the premise remains the same, we must discover who turned us into Pokémon and why to do so. We will wake up on a beach where we will meet our partner and who will accompany us throughout the game and will become an important piece, so much so that, if he falls weakened, we will have to return. 

The dungeons have not changed much, they are still randomly generated so every time you return to a dungeon this will be totally different, there are times that by "luck" we will have the stairs to continue to another level right in front of where we came from, this could be good if you want to advance quickly, although I always prefer to explore the entire map so there found the stairs, I like to farm experience and take all possible items, because you never know. 

Something that I really enjoy when playing is when I complete the game and my Pokémon (depending on the one you choose) can evolve, and that motivated me to want to see it in action again doing side quests.


Personally, I love these roguelike dungeon games, and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was my first experience with them, I am a lover, but sadly all this saga, is almost totally the same in reference to mechanics and gameplay, the only thing that changes is the story, of course if you do something well you don't have to change it, but in this case, I always expected more. I recommend you to try these titles if you really like Pokémon, because as a roguelike it falls short.

source: https://hive.blog/hive-140217/@zhoten/pokemon-mystery-dungeon-explorers-of-time-2007-or-retro-review

Share on Google Plus

About Giampaolo Rossi.

Fond of computer and video games. Stay informed of the latest news on games for Linux and Android. The future of gaming is in Linux. All you need to know about How to play Windows games on Linux.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 commenti:

Post a Comment

Latest Posts.

Random Posts