The Xbox 360 port was developed by Venom Games. The game was initially released in North America and Europe on 11 July 2006, and later was made available on Valve's Steam system on 6 November 2006.
Prey uses a heavily modified version of id Tech 4 to use portals and variable gravity to create the environments the player explores.
The game's story is focused on Cherokee Domasi Tawodi as he, his girlfriend, and grandfather are abducted aboard an alien spaceship known as The Sphere as it consumes material, both inanimate and living, from the Earth in order to sustain itself. Tommy's Cherokee past allows him to let his spirit roam freely at times, and gives Tommy an edge in his attempt to stop the Sphere.
Prey had been in development in one form or another since 1995, and has had several major revisions. While the general approach to gameplay, including the use of portals, remained in the game, the story and setting changed several times. The game received generally positive reviews and was a commercial success, selling more than one million copies and leading to the development of a sequel, with rights owned by the Radar Group. The rights were recently transferred to Bethesda Softworks and Id Software parent company Zenimax Media.
Tommy witnesses Enisi's death in a brutal alien device. While trying to find Jen, he falls from a walkway and has a near-death experience where he meets with his grandfather's spirit who bestows him with spiritual powers. After returning to the world of the living, Tommy gains the ability to spirit-walk, allowing him to separate from his body to pass through forcefields and operate consoles normally out of reach, as well as the aid of his spirit guide, the ghost of his childhood pet hawk, named Talon. Despite being entrusted by his ancestor's spirits with the mission to protect all of mankind from the sphere's invasion, Tommy can't stop worrying about Jen, and he only cares about how to find and rescue her. As the game's tagline says, "Earth's savior doesn't want the job."
* Built on an enhanced Doom 3 engine
* Multiplayer deathmatch
* Portal technology adds a new dimension to gameplay, allowing enemies to appear out of thin air and create new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles
* Several unique gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk
* Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy
* Deep, emotional story of love and sacrifice
* Tommy has a sidekick, a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship
* Multiplayer game support that takes advantage of the unique gameplay styles in Prey
* PunkBuster support
- Can be downloaded here.
- To install: set the downloaded file to be executable and run it.
chmod a+rx ./prey-installer-02192009.bin
- You will need the PC version: either the 3 CD set, the single DVD Collector's Edition, or a normal installed copy of the game, such as you'd download via Steam. You will need a valid and unique CD key in any case. The Mac version's install disc has not been tested, and the XBox 360 version will not work.
- To install the Linux version using datafiles downloaded through Steam, run the installer like this (assuming the Windows partition is mounted at "/mnt/ntfsdisk"):
./prey-installer-02192009.bin --from-install --media '/mnt/ntfsdisk/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/prey/base'
If you liked this article, subscribe to the feed by clicking the image below to keep informed about new contents of the blog: