One such title, and the progenitor of the genre's wider mainstream acceptance and popularity was Doom, released the following year and perhaps the most influential first-person shooter.
Half-Life, released in 1998, enhanced the narrative and puzzle elements, and along with its 2004 sequel Half-Life 2, showcases the considerable development of the genre's potential. GoldenEye 007 (1997) was the first landmark first-person shooter for home consoles, with the Halo series heightening the console's commercial and critical appeal as a platform for first-person shooter titles.
In the 21st century, the first-person shooter is one of the most commercially viable and fastest growing video game genres.
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (ET:QW) is a first-person shooter video game, and is the follow-up to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. However, it is set in the same science fiction universe as Quake II and Quake 4, with a minimal back-story serving as a prequel to Quake II. It is the second multiplayer-focused game in the Quake series (after Quake III Arena). Quake Wars features similar gameplay to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but with the addition of controllable vehicles and aircraft as well as multiple AI deployables, asymmetric teams, much larger maps and the option of computer-controlled bots. Unlike the previous Enemy Territory game, Quake Wars is a commercial release rather than a free download.
Excalibur Morgana's Revenge (EMR) is a first-person action shooter game where time travel enables players to journey through the jurassic period, camelot period, and into the future chasing down Morgana and her forces.EMR is a unique scenario based upon the Aleph One (Marathon) engine. It features an epic and in-depth story line.As a Federation Marine resting after your last mission, you start aboard the exploration class Starship Kronos where you learn that your real mission has yet to begin. You are re-acquainted with the AI Merlin, who introduces you to Kronos time travelling technology, and reveals your new mission: to save mankind from the clutches of Morgana and her minions. Through untamed raptor-infested jungles, castle arenas, and war-torn streets of the future, you will wield weapons from all time periods - including the Sword of Power, Excalibur - in an effort to thwart the diabolical plot that unfolds.
Hexen II source, and the Hammer of Thyrion source port, are free but the game itself is not. You must have an original copy of the game released by Raven Software and Activision, else you can only play the demonstration version.
Nexuiz Nexuiz is a fast-paced, chaotic, and intense multiplayer first-person shooter game, focused on providing basic, old style deathmatch. It is extremely modder-friendly. Nexuiz is built on the power of the Darkplaces engine, which is a heavily modified version of the original Quake. Darkplaces features realtime lighting and stencil shadows, bumpmapping, gloss, bloom, and totally rewritten network code that supports up to 64 players on a single server.
This is a community map pack compiled by Strahlemann. It includes 35 maps, and a campaign mode for the user to fight through. The map pack includes Quake3 communtiy maps, Nexuiz community maps, and some new maps from Nexuiz developers. Credit is given for all of the authors. To install it just unzip the file into your main Nexuiz directory.
Open Arena Fortress Open Arena Fortress is a mod for Open Arena that adds customizable player classes. You can choose from familiar preset classes, such as "soldier" or "sniper," or create your own by choosing your starting weapons and armor class. Current Version: Beta 1. The only real change in this release is it is compiled against the new 0.8.1 sources. Changes from Alpha 3:
* Compiled against Open Arena 0.8.1 sources.
Changes from Alpha 2:
* Player load-out has been moved to persistant data. Player shouldn't spawn
* Choosing no primary or secondary weapon works now.
- Tremulous Tremulous for Quake 3 Arena is an open source modification that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning.
- True Combat True Combat is a modification to Quake III arena featuring scriptable mission objectives in maps, C4 and smoke grenades to your arsenal, realistic lens flares, glare, and flash blend effects.
- Unreal Tournament 2004 (commercial) Unreal Tournament 2004 is a multiplayer first person shooter that combines the kill-or-be-killed experience of gladiatorial combat with cutting-edge technology. Ten game modes - both team-based and "every man for himself" -- provide even the most hardcore gamer with palm-sweating challenges through unbelievably detailed indoor arenas and vast outdoor environments. As the ultimate techno-gladiator of the future, players will take their fates into their hands, battling against up to 32 other players online in action-packed, frag-filled arenas. hot
- Warsow Warsow is a fast-paced 3D ego-shooter with colorful graphics which look like in comic (black lines around things; deliberatly surrealistic graphics) or similar to the movie "Tron". Read m
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a free, stand-alone multiplayer game in which players wage war as Axis or Allies in team-based combat. It was originally planned as an add-on for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but soon became it's own game, a separate entity with full single player, multiplayer, AI opponents and teammates.
- World of Padman World of Padman is a multiplayer fun action shooter using the Quake 3 engine base. Read more hot
- 0verkill 0verkill is a bloody 2D action deathmatch-like game in ASCII-ART running under Linux, OS/2 and Windows. Read more
- ActionCube ActionCube is a total conversion of Wouter van Oortmerssen´s FPS called Cube. Set in a realistic looking environment, as far as that´s possible with this engine, while gameplay stays fast and arcade. This game is all about team oriented multiplayer fun.
- Adanaxis Adanaxis is fast-moving first person shooter set in deep space, where the fundamentals of space itself are changed. By adding another dimension to space this game provides an environment with movement in four directions and six planes of rotation.
- Aleph One/SDL Aleph One is based on the game Marathon 2 by Bungie Software. It supports, but doesn't require, OpenGL for rendering. Aleph One was originally a Mac-only game, but there is now a cross-platform version based on the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library, that should in theory run on all systems supported by SDL
- Alien Arena 2006 AA2K6 is the latest in a series of standalone games based on a classic Sci-Fi theme with a modern, updated visual experience. With 25 levels, five modes of play, mutators, built-in bots, 9 characters, 8 weapons(3 with alt-fire modes), the game has an endless supply of replayability.
- Alien Arena 2007 Alien Arena 2007 is a fast paced, retro sci-fi themed game jam packed with features such as 37 maps, 5 game modes, 6 game mutators, 10 player characters, 8 weapons(each with an alternate firing mode), and the Galaxy front end that includes a server browser, IRC client, stats lookup, and a buddy list to keep tabs on your favorite players.
- Alien Arena: Reloaded Edition Alien Arena: Reloaded Edition is based on code of Quake II and Quake III and is released under the GPL Licence.
- Alien Swarm Alien Swarm is an overhead view tactical squad-based shooter for UT2K4. Set in the the distant future, the players take the role of a Commander in the Interstellar Armed Forces. They must guide their squad of marines through Swarm infested colonies, overrun bases and outposts, to achieve a variety of objectives. Featuring Assault Rifles, Heat Tracking Guns, Sentry Guns, Flamethrowers and more. Supports co-operative multiplayer.
- Aliens vs Predator A Linux port of the Fox Interactive/Rebellion Developments game, Aliens vs Predator. Game is no longer being developed.
- Alpha Shooter Alpha Shooter is a single-player 3D FPS game with a sci-fi setting, multi-platform support, trivial particles and collision detection system, dynamic lighting effects and a shooting practice mini-game, written in C with OpenGL and GLUT.
- America's Army: Special Forces America's Army: Special Forces is released by the United States Army. In America's Army: Special Forces, players attempt to earn Green Beret status by completing individual and collective training missions drawn from the Special Forces Assignment and Selection (SFAS) process.
- Argonium Argonium is a standalone Multiplayer First Person shooter powered by id Softwares Quake II engine. includes over 100 sound files, over 250 image files and over 50 models. Argonium includes 5 different weapons, 1 player character with 3 skins, 3 powerup items, armour and health items. The game is strictly a Deathmatch game and comes with 3 levels.
- Balder Balder is a multiplayer Zero Gravity First Person Shooter using the Crystal Space engine. It also uses the borax template and the GNE -- Game Networking Engine. It will emphesise team cooperation, instead of the standard frag-fest and meaningless violence of most first person shooters.
- Balder2D Balder2D is a multiplayer game. It has a networked option and/or players can share a keyboard on the same machine. Players control small probes which shoot tiny projectiles with which they try to destroy each other. It features a 2D overhead view of the playing field.
- Battle Free Battle Free is a free online FPS, you can play with up to 64 friends online or just with the AI's. This game has 4 mission areas, and 4 weapons.
- Black Shades In Black Shades you try to keep your VIP (the guy in white) alive as long as possible. The assassins will all try to shoot or stab him to death. You must do all you can to prevent this. Your reputation has preceded you, so the VIP has absolute confidence in your abilities and will completely ignore all the assassins.
- Black Shades Elite Black Shades Elite is an action game that is more or less similar to the original Black Shades "Psychic Bodyguard FPS". Kill anyone that tries to kill the VIP (the white guy). The psychic part is seeing blue lines when bad guys line up on the VIP (when the line is red they are about to shoot).
- Blood Frontier Blood Frontier is a single-player and multi-player first-person shooter, built as a total conversion of Cube Engine 2, which lends itself toward a balanced gameplay, completely at the control of map makers, while maintaining a general theme of tactics and low gravity.
- Blood Toll Blood Toll is an innovative new first person shooter that allows players to compete online for real money. The game works by having each player buy in to enter a level, then for each player that you eliminate you get their buy in fee.
- Chocolate Doom Chocolate Doom is a Doom source port which aims to behave as closely as possible to the original DOS Doom executables ("Vanilla Doom").
- Counter-Strike 2D Counter-Strike 2D offers a lot more than the original Counter-Strike game. Counter-Strike is a tactical first-person shooter video game in which players join either the terrorist or counter-terrorist team (or become a spectator).
- Crystal Core Crystal Core is a first person shooter/puzzle game. The action is set on an alien planet invaded by hostile aliens. Crystal Core is a project that will help demonstrate what the crystal space engine can do.
- Cytadela Cytadela is a conversion of an Amiga Doom clone that was also called "Cytadela". The original was created in the mid-1990's by Virtual Design, and released first in Poland and then in other countries.
- d1x This is the Descent 1 Source Project. Our goal is to refine and extend the playability of Descent 1, coordinate compatability and features across platforms and versions, and make semi-official releases with major changes.
- D2X-XL D2X-XL is a port of Descent 2 to OpenGL. It is an open source project and has undergone a lot of enhancements compared to Descent 2.
- Dave 3D Dave 3D is a Free media data-only project for the Duke Nukem 3D source code.
- Dead Cyborg Dead Cyborg is a sci-fi adventure game. The story is about the meaning of life and death in a rusty post-apocalyptic metal and concrete world.
- Digital Paintball 2 Paintball 2 is a fast-paced first-person game with capture the flag, elimination, siege, and deathmatch (free-for-all) styles of gameplay.
- Doom Legacy Doom Legacy offers an enhancement to the original Doom game with extra features such as split screen mode, skins, 32 players etc.
- DoomRL DoomRL (Doom, the Roguelike) is a fast and furious coffee-break Roguelike game, that is heavily inspired by the popular first person shooter game Doom developed by ID Software.
- Dreams Eternal Dreams Eternal tries to concentrate on the storyline instead of just shooting. The goal of the game is also to have a scary athmosphere. Basically the game will play in the dream world and will concentrate on puzzle solving.
- DXX Rebirth DXX-Rebirth is a remake of the two DESCENT ports D1X and D2X.
- EDuke32 EDuke32 is an actively developed port of the classic, Duke Nukem. Duke Nukem 3D was a first person shooter developed by 3D Realms and released in 1996.