Abuse is a dark 2D side-scrolling platform game developed by Crack dot Com in 1995. It features beautiful lighting, realistic animation and nasty alien-like creatures to destroy. It is now maintained by Sam Hocevar in an attempt to prevent it from vanishing from the Internet.
Since Abuse's public domain release in 1997, the following improvements were made:
* video output uses the SDL library, with optional OpenGL rendering
* 64-bit platforms support
* lots of crashes, memory leaks and general bugs fixed
* abuse-lib, abuse-frabs and abuse-data were merged into one big dataset
* easier edition of data files using abuse-tool
See all the documentation.
There is also an artwork page and a collection of screenshots.
- May 9th, 2011: Abuse 0.8 is out!
My current plans are:
- get network play to work again
- merge back the CTF code that was developed for Abuse Win32
- create free (as in speech) sound effects (my previous attempts at getting Bobby Prince to put them in the public domain didn’t get far)
· A set of datafiles : Registered Abuse, Shareware Abuse, or fRaBs (Free Abuse).